What are the treatment options for gynecomastia?
More than 200,000 men per year are impacted by an uncomfortable and potentially embarrassing medical condition known as gynecomastia. Fortunately, however, this condition is treatable. Brandon Plastic Surgery, which serves the residents of Tampa Bay, Florida and the surrounding regions, invites current and prospective clients to read the following brief blog highlighting important aspects of this malady.
Men struck with this condition experience growth of breast tissue. The ailment can occur in one or both breasts.
Typically, gynecomastia occurs because of significant systemic hormonal imbalances in the bodies of afflicted males. In said subjects, their testosterone (the chief male reproductive and sexual hormone) levels drop precipitously while estrogen concentrations (the primary female sexual and reproductive hormone) steadily increase.
These hormonal imbalances can be precipitated by numerous factors such as:
- Age: Boys experiencing puberty and aging men (who often experience wild hormonal fluctuations) stand at an increased risk of developing the ailment.
- Medications: The ingestion of various drugs can trigger the condition.
- Health Issues: Numerous medical conditions can precipitate the onset of gynecomastia including certain forms of cancer, kidney and liver problems, malnutrition and any number of maladies impacting the endocrine system (organs and glands responsible for producing and secreting hormones).
- Alcohol And Drug Usage: Certain chemicals might elicit the condition, especially alcohol, marijuana, various amphetamines and narcotic substances like heroin.
- Steroid Use: Individuals who use steroids also stand at an increased risk of developing gynecomastia.
Aside from the swelling or abnormal accumulation of breast tissue, impacted individuals might also experience problems such as pain or tenderness in impacted areas, as well as nipple discharge. Moreover, men dealing with gynecomastia often experience significant embarrassment that could lead to emotional or psychological problems such as anxiety and depression.
Gynecomastia Treatment Options
The specific therapeutic protocol a physician initiates will often depend upon the underlying cause and said malady’s severity. That said, common treatment options can include:
In some cases, gynecomastia resolves over time and might not require treatment. Healthcare professionals opine that the ailment often ebbs on its own accord within two years.
If the condition is precipitated by an underlying medical condition, addressing said ailment through the administration of drugs might provide relief. The specific preparation involved will depend upon the exact medical condition.
Male Breast Reduction Surgery
In cases where breast tissue enlargement becomes pronounced or causes untoward physical manifestations like pain, removal of said tissue might be indicated. The two most common forms of surgery used to treat gynecomastia are liposuction and mastectomy. Liposuction removes excess fatty tissue, while mastectomy excises large quantities of breast tissue.
Brandon Plastic Surgery might be able to help men afflicted with gynecomastia. Brandon Plastic Surgery possesses extensive experience performing procedures such as liposuction and male breast reduction surgery. For more information about us and the services we provide, please visit https://www.brandonplasticsurgery.com/.